Friday, October 31, 2008

FIRETRUCK CAKE CONTINUED

   Cate from Tribeca-Yummy Mummy who's blog I recently discovered commented that she would like to know more about what I tried using for Luke's fabulous firetruck cake.  So here is a follow-up to my earlier post.  I very loosely followed a recipe from the ever so fabulous book "Baking with Agave Nectar" by Ania Catalano.   The cake batter has zucchini in it which I think added to the moistness of the cake.    Here is the recipe as I made it:

4 ounces Wax Orchards Fudge Sauce
3/4 cup canola oil
2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 teaspoons baking powder (non aluminum)
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon agave
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/3 cup nonfat plain yogurt
2 cups coarsely pureed zucchini

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Lightly oil two 9-inch cake pans with oil and flour.
Combine the fudge and 1/4 cup canola oil in a glass bowl and heat in either the microwave for 1 1/2 minutes or in small double boiler.  Stir to combine.  Sift the flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a large bowl.  In a separate bowl use an electric mixer to beat the rest of the canola oil, and the agave.  Then add the eggs one at a time and beat until mixed.  Add the chocolate and the vanilla extract and then continue to beat.  On a lower sead add teh flour mixture and the yogurt and mix until combined.  Then gently fold in the zucchini puree.  Bake for 30-35 minutes until the center comes out clean.  I RECOMMEND A BIT OF UNDERBAKING FOR INCREASED FUDGINESS.

As for the icing..what I used and what I tried were two different stories.  I used store bought gross sugar laden icing that held toxic food coloring (You can tell I was not thrilled).  What I tried was another agave sweetened recipe that I really did not love.  I think next time I would try an agave sweetened cream cheese frosting.   As for non-toxic food coloring..let me know if any of you other moms out there have found a TRUE firetruck red!!


No comments: